The GRE not only tests the student’s comprehension and response abilities, but also tests him/her performance against time. Following information is all about the GRE Exam and the pattern:
The GRE test categories are divided into Analytical Writing – I, Analytical Writing – II, Verbal section, Quantitative section, a Verbal / Quantitative section and a Research section. About the GRE Exam
- The Analytical Writing – I section is of 45 minutes duration and contains one question. This section is called the Issue task. About the GRE Exam
- The Analytical Writing – II section is of 30 minutes duration and contains one question. This section is called the argument task. About the GRE Exam
- The Verbal section is of 30 minutes duration and there are thirty questions. The time to answer each question is one minute. About the GRE Exam
- The Quantitative section is of 45 minutes duration and there are twenty-eight questions. The time to answer each question is precisely 1.6 minute.
- The Research section on the other hand is clearly identified and is always at the end of the test.
The time limits on each section are very precise. The GRE not only tests the student’s comprehension and response abilities, but also tests him/her performance against time. To crack the test, students have to be sharp and very well prepared. One of the ways students have been able to score well on the GRE is by pacing themselves well. The difficulty levels are enhanced on the GRE as there no options to skip the questions and return back later. The computer-based tests are unique in a way because all subsequent questions that appear on the computer screen are determined by the responses of the candidate. The question-sets to each student are therefore personalized, determined by his/her own abilities.
The ability to guess right can contribute significantly to the student’s final score. It is not possible for the candidate to know the answers to every question presented. So guesswork becomes important. The student can deliberate on the question and make a guess that can come closest to answering the question posed. Since there is no negative scoring for a wrong answer, this is the chance students must make. About the GRe Exam
Most candidates prepare by for the test by downloading the material that is provided online at the Education Testing Services portal. Study guides and practice materials are available in the market as well. Due practice on the test is important as it would make the candidate sure of himself. Knowing what to expect and being prepared to deal with the situation, is one of the vital elements in scoring well on the test.
Candidates should also remember that there is no such thing as failure in the GRE. A poor performance would only return poor scores that in turn would impact the candidate’s chances in obtaining admission in the school of his/her choice and in the program the candidate’s desire. About the GRE Exam
So the only mantra that comes to cracking the GRE is work hard, work hard and work hard.