Hong Kong has some of the world’s top 50 universities including those ranked 2nd, 7th, 8th in Asia in 2014. An international city where both English and Chinese are official languages and English is used as teaching medium in most universities. It is the perfect gateway to career prospects in Mainland China and Asia in which over 3700 overseas companies have based their Asia- Pacific branches, employing over 2,00,000 people. Hong Kong, a city with small territory, is the world’s 8th largest trading economy.

Top Universities

Tuition and Scholarship

As a non-local student, your tuition fee of studying in Hong Kong varies according to your level of study and your choice of programme. Of course, other than tuition fee, you need to allow for other expenses during your study, for example, course materials, examination fee, and graduation fee, etc. Normal ranges of study-related expenses are as follows –

Item Amount (HK$/US$) (per year)
Tuition Fee (for non-local students) HK$90,000 – HK$265,000 US$11,500 – US$34,000

A number of scholarships and awards are offered by the HKSAR Government, post-secondary institutions and other public or private organizations to assist non-local students finance their education in Hong Kong. Some are available solely for non-local students, and others are awarded on a competitive basis to all students regardless of nationality or residency status. Non-local students are welcome to apply for the following scholarships and awards offered by the HKSAR Government –

  • The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Scholarship 
  • The Self-financing Post-secondary Education Fund
  • The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme

Other scholarships and award schemes are administered by the institutions themselves, including the Government one. You may wish to contact the student affairs or international office directly if you want to know more about the details of and submit applications for the schemes.

Living Cost

– Hostel
– Rental for flat (with one bedroom)
HK$15,000 – HK$45,000
HK$96,000 – HK$180,000
US$1,900 – US$5,800
US$12,600 – US$23,000
Living expenses Approx. HK$50,000 Approx. US$6,400
Miscellaneous Approx. HK$15,000 Approx. US$1,900


If you live in University-provided residence halls or hostels, you’ll pay a modest HK$5,000 (about US$650) to HK$15,000 (around US$2,000) per semester; expect to pay that much per month if living off-campus. You should allow for HK$30,000 to HK$50,000 (US$3,900 to US$6,500) per year for other living costs, including food, leisure, transportation, and personal items, depending on how extravagantly you plan to live.

Jobs In Hong Kong

Non-local students studying full-time locally-accredited local or non-local programs at undergraduate level or above whose study period is not less than one academic year may take up study/curriculum-related internships as arranged or endorsed by institutions, subject to a maximum duration of one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic program, whichever is the shorter. Non-local students of full-time locally-accredited sub-degree local programs with a study period of not less than two academic years may apply take up internships which are mandatory, study/curriculum-related and arranged or endorsed by institutions, subject to a maximum duration of six months. Non-local students (excluding exchange students) studying full-time locally-accredited local programs at undergraduate level or above whose study period is not less than one academic year may take up –

  1. Part-time on-campus employment for not more than 20 hours per week throughout the year; and
  2. Summer jobs without any limit on working hours and location.

Hong Kong is a place full of opportunities, be it for advancing up your career ladder or realizing your dream. You will earn valuable work experience if you decide to stay in Hong Kong for work after graduation, especially if you are determined to tap on the market of Mainland China, the world’s fastest economy, in future. There is a favorable policy, called the Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG) for non-local fresh graduates to stay in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation without any restrictions to seek jobs. For more specific advice on your development after graduation, you may consult the Careers and Placement Office of your institution for assistance. Besides, you can obtain comprehensive employment information from the Labor Department of the HKSAR Government, including employment legislation, employee rights and benefits, as well as job vacancies, etc.

Youth Employment Start (Y.E.S.) (administered by the Labor Department) provides one-stop advisory and support services on employment and self-employment to youngsters aged between 15 and 29. It provides support to young people to start their career on the right track, enhance their employability, facilitate them to access the latest labor market information and help them secure a firm footing in the labor market for sustainable development. Non-local graduates admitted under the IANG may apply for extension of stay to work in Hong Kong within 4 weeks before their limit of stay expires. Upon application, the non-local graduates are required to have secured an offer of employment which is at a level commonly taken up by degree holders and the remuneration package is set at market level. For those who have established or joined in business in the HKSAR, they are required to produce proof of their business. Successful applicants will normally be permitted to remain on time limitation on a 2-3 years pattern without other conditions of stay.

Application and Visa Process

As institutions in Hong Kong enjoy a high degree of autonomy in admission of students; requirements for student admission may vary from institution to institution, and from program to program. Institutions will make admission decisions primarily based on the merits (e.g. academic and other non-academic achievements) of individual applications. Some institutions will invite applicants to attend interviews, whose performance at the interviews will also be taken into consideration. You are advised to read the course information provided by institutions carefully and contact the institution(s) you intend to apply for if you need further advice and clarification.

Here’s an overview of everything you need to do to apply, arrive, and get started!

  1. Check out each of the institutions. Decide which ones best suit your goals.


  1. Contact the institutions and programs that interest you. They can give you more information about admissions requirements, program-specific criteria, and application deadlines.

 Make sure you qualify for admission. International schools and methods of assessment vary widely, as do prerequisites for specific institutions. In general you will need to have completed secondary school, have earned satisfactory results on your country’s Leaving or Aptitude exams, if offered (for example, A Levels, Baccalaureate, SATs, etc.). If English is not your mother tongue, you’ll need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or equivalent examinations.

Once you have been accepted by an institution, you must get a student visa or entry permit. All non-local students need one, whether they come for an exchange programme or full-time studies. In general, non-local students will need local sponsors, which can be arranged through their institutions, with the necessary supporting documents.

Normally, the Immigration Department requires the following documents, although they may ask for others depending on the actual circumstances. It will normally take six weeks to process a visa or entry permit application for study upon receipt of all the required documents – apply as far in advance as possible.

  • Form ID995A completed and signed
  • Form ID995B completed and signed by sponsor (which can normally be arranged by your university)
  • Photocopy of your identity card and/or travel documents
  • One recent photo of yourself (affixed on form ID995A)
  • A photocopy of your letter of admission from an education institution in Hong Kong, as well as your letter accepting their admission
  • Evidence of your financial standing (bank statements, passbooks, proof of scholarship funds, etc.). If someone is sponsoring you financially, that person must submit a declaration stating their relationship to you, their intention to support your study and living expenses and their financial standing
  • Evidence of your accommodation arrangement in Hong Kong e.g. an undertaking that the sponsor is prepared to provide accommodation to the applicant

Students can submit their application forms and supporting documents in one of the following ways:

  • By post directly or through the local sponsor in the HKSAR to the Receipt and Dispatch Sub-Unit, Hong Kong Immigration Department, 2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong;
  • Applicants residing in overseas countries or territories may submit their applications in person to the nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in their place of domicile; or
  • Foreign passport holders living in the Mainland China may submit their applications to the Immigration Division of the Office of the Government of the HKSAR in Beijing.If you take up studies in a full-time locally-accredited local or non-local post-secondary programme, you will normally be granted a length of stay in line with the normal duration of your study programme, subject to a maximum period of six years upon entry and the validity of the travel document held, whereas for those studying other courses, they will normally be granted permission of stay for 12 months upon entry or in accordance with the duration of their studies, whichever is shorter.

Living and Culture in Hong Kong

Located on China’s southern coast, Hong Kong is a unique place where East meets West and old meets new, it is a multifaceted city where English and Cantonese, “Feng Shui” and football, towering skyscrapers and historical sites exist side by side. Immerse yourself in a city that never stops. To experience its vibrancy, Hong Kong offers a distinctive blend of the finest Chinese and international cuisine, brands, and entertainment. You can relax at a sidewalk café, take up “Tai Chi”, or go hiking in one of our stunning country parks. Hong Kong is known as a shopper’s paradise. Buy the latest designer labels or head to local stalls for great deals. Hong Kong’s position as a global commercial and financial hub means that it welcomes people of all backgrounds. Residents here, no matter permanent or non-permanent ones, enjoy freedom of expression, access to the excellent public health system, and outstanding municipal services.

Transportation, telecommunications, and public healthcare in Hong Kong cost significantly less than many countries in Europe or North America. Furthermore, student discounts are available for essentials, such as Octopus cards or even arts and cultural events. With careful planning and price comparison, you can make the most of your Hong Kong experience and still have a plenty of dollars left for extras like travel and fancy dinners out. Life hacks living in Hongkong:

  • Live in university accommodation as far as possible. It costs less than an off-campus apartment, as well as being cleaner, usually closer to the campus, and definitely more convenient.
  • Take public transportation. The system is the envy of cities everywhere, and a good number of them have modeled on it. You can travel the SAR from end to end for less than you’d pay for a cup of coffee. It’s spotless and safe.
  • Save money and dive into local culture – eat in a Cha Chaan Teng, the Chinese answer to a café. Service is basic, but the food is delicious, and you can’t beat the prices. Besides, you can have your meals at the campus student canteens, and the price is low. Having meals there can save much.
  • Take advantage of the student discounts offered by museums, cinema, transport companies, restaurants, and even some retail outlets. Just show your student ID.
  • If you face financial difficulties while your study, contact the international office or student affairs office of your institution for assistance.

More Information